Why a Global Meeting?
Build an ever-closer and more effective global partnership
Share knowledge and evidence about what works to address child marriage
Celebrate progress to ensure more action and resources
Agree on next steps to achieve our common strategic objectives
Meet the planning committee
As a Global Partnership, it is important that Girls Not Brides’ activities are informed by the expertise of its members and partners.
Our planning committee, made up of members and partners from around the world, will help develop the programme of the Global Meeting.
All team members are experts in their field, each with powerful insights into what it will take to end child marriage. They will ensure that we have the best and the most innovative programme that meets the needs of our diverse Partnership.
The International Planning Team had its first call on 27 October 2017. Read the minutes from the meeting.
The Global Meeting is going green…
Girls Not Brides is committed to minimising the environmental impact of the 2018 Global meeting.
How will we do this?
Low paper: No paper handouts. Please bring limited number of publications. - If you really must print, do it onsite with recommended sustainable suppliers.
No plastic: No “Single-use” plastic items will be distributed or sold in the meeting venue.
Zero-waste: Only materials that can be reused, recycled or composted are allowed on site.
Go digital. We will provide information digitally wherever possible. Consider sharing information about your organisation by email, website, or by including QR (quick response) codes on display-only publications.
Everybody attending the Global Meeting should consider:
If you choose to give out gifts or promotional material, we encourage you to offer useful and reusable items such as travel mugs, aluminium water bottles etc. Consider products that convey a green or socially responsible message, are reusable and which have been produced ethically, using environmentally-friendly materials (such as organic unbleached natural fibres, recycled, nontoxic or biodegradable materials. See full list of authorised and prohibited materials below [anchor link below].
Any leftover items that cannot be recycled, composted or taken back home should be donated to a local charity or institution. Please contact us for details on donations.
Please turn off lights and equipment when not in use. Use energy-efficient electronic devices where possible, and make sure you enable energy-saving features on all electronic equipment.
Sustainable waste management
Please help us to ensure the Global Meeting is:
- Low paper: see above
- Plastic-free: Do not use plastic items such as plastic bottles, plastic bags, plastic cups, straws, and plastic packaging.
- Zero-Waste: minimise waste where possible. Only bring true essentials with you to the Global Meeting. Replace any non-sustainable products with reusable, recyclable or compostable alternatives.
- Help us recycle: There will be well-marked recycling stations through the convention centre.
Avoid shipping materials to the venue that can be sourced or printed locally. There will be a space for publications to be displayed. This is limited to a couple of copies per organisation, and there will be no storage facility for extra copies.
Food and drink
Food and drink will be provided by the convention centre and will serve:
- Locally sourced food (sustainable and seasonal where possible)
- Vegetarian/vegan options
- No endangered species on menu
- Fair-trade products (where possible)
- Food with minimal packaging
- No plastic bottles (water fountains available throughout venue; refillable jugs in rooms)
About Girls Not Brides
The 2015 Global Member Meeting
In May 2015, over 250 Girls Not Brides members gathered in Casablanca, Morocco, for the first Girls Not Brides Global Member Meeting. The meeting aimed to strengthen the global partnership through collaboration, networking and shared learning, and to empower member organisations to build their capacity to end child marriage.
Past regional or thematic conferences
Since 2011, Girls Not Brides has held five large scale meetings:
- Two workshops on national level collaboration: one in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, in 2016, and one in Istanbul, Turkey, in 2013.
- An Africa regional meeting in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 2012.
- A South Asian regional meeting in Delhi, India, in 2012.
- An inception meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in 2011.
Girls Not Brides has also organised several member meetings on specific topics, such as the Theory of Change to end child marriage, as well as side meetings at of large international events, such as the 2014 Girl Summit in London and the Africa Girl Summit in Zambia in 2015.